Zapotec Ancestral Ritual: Cloud Dwellers
Benne goulash | People of the same heart
What’s a temazcal?
Temazcal literally means house of heat.
It is the oldest physical, mental and spiritual bath in Latin America. This ritual takes you back to connect with the 4 elements, the most beautiful way to honor life. It is a shamanic ritual that dates back to pre-Columbian times and that, through sweat sessions, purifies the body and relaxes the mind.
Among the many ancestral ceremonies that existed in Mexico before the conquest, few have survived as well as this one. This ceremony is performed in a kind of round hut, made of earth and stones and has a small opening that serves as a door.
Inside, a bonfire is made where volcanic stones are heated over which a cold infusion of herbs and medicinal ingredients is poured. The heat increases as the ceremony progresses, reaching a peak of about 40 degrees. The boiling of cool water thrown over the burning stones creates steam that has benefits for the entire body.
It is not a simple steam bath but also an inner journey that helps us to reconnect with ourselves for self-healing.
- Bring comfortable clothes, bathing suit and towel.
- Bring at least 1.5 liters of water.
- Eat light food before the experience.
- People with phobias, fear of confinement, panic attacks, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, should discuss this with the guide and the team.
- At the end keep introspective state achieved avoiding social events and if possible keep a vow of silence
Thursday and Saturday 10:00 am
Where do we meet?
Main entrance Casa Pepe CDMX
Private transportation, temazcal ceremony, translator, cacao drink and teas, traditional herbalist for the temazcal.
What’s not included?
Food or drinks.
*This activity is non refundable. Changes subject to availability 48 prior to the date. Please send us a message to +52 55 4470 0390 or email@example.com